Our History

1931

Max Chidel opened his meat counter at stand #57 in the O Street Market in NW Washington, D.C., where they sold quality, local meats with excellent, personalized service.

1954

Max’s son Harvey joined the business and the store now had its name, Harvey’s Market.

1968

The O street Market closes after a devastating fire. For three years, Harvey searches for the perfect spot for his butcher shop.

1971

He finds it inside what was then called the Union Terminal Market.
There, Harvey continued the family vision of selling quality meats with excellent service.

1978

Marty Kaufman joins his father-in-law’s business, a butcher shop right next to Harvey’s Market.

1987

George Lesznar, already an experienced butcher, is now married to Harvey’s daughter and he becomes part of the family business. He and Marty begin their long-running friendship.

2000

Harvey retired.

2011

A fire burns the Union Market, closing Harvey’s.

2012 – Present

George and Marty join forces for a new beginning to Harvey’s, with a renewed focus on local meats from sustainable farms, carrying on the original vision from Max. They personally visit the farms, talk to the farmers and see the animals being raised.